This great woman has not fallen silent today with her passing. She found her voice at age twelve-and-a-half (after six years of mute silence) and didn't stop talking her truth for decades and decades.
These first 10 quotes come from a list compiled by Geoff Wise, from entrepreneur.com:
1. “I've learned that you can tell a lot about a person by the way he/she handles these three things: a rainy day, lost luggage and tangled Christmas tree lights.”
2. “You shouldn't go through life with a catcher's mitt on both hands; you need to be able to throw something back.”
3. “Nothing will work unless you do.”
4. “People will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.”
5. “There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you.”
6. “I’ve learned that making a ‘living’ is not the same thing as making a ‘life.’”
7. “Perhaps travel cannot prevent bigotry, but by demonstrating that all peoples cry, laugh, eat, worry and die, it can introduce the idea that if we try and understand each other, we may even become friends.”
8. “Never make someone a priority when all you are to them is an option.”
9. “To grow up is to stop putting blame on parents.”
10. “You can only become truly accomplished at something you love. Don't make money your goal. Instead, pursue the things you love doing, and then do them so well that people can't take their eyes off you.”
The remaining quotes here come from Amanda Harnocz article on cleveland.com:
11. "We allow our ignorance to prevail upon us and make us think we can survive alone, alone in patches, alone in groups, alone in races, even alone in genders."
12. "If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude. Don't complain."
13. "History, despite its wrenching pain, cannot be unlived, however, if faced with courage, need not be lived again."
14. "You may not control all the events that happen to you, but you can decide not to be reduced by them."
15. "One isn't necessarily born with courage, but one is born with potential. Without courage, we cannot practice any other virtue with consistency. We can't be kind, true, merciful, generous, or honest."
16. "Love recognizes no barriers. It jumps hurdles, leaps fences, penetrates walls to arrive at its destination full of hope."
17. "Ask for what you want and be prepared to get it."
18. "A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer, it sings because it has a song."
19. "The honorary duty of a human being is to love."
20. "I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel."
21. "I love to see a young girl go out and grab the world by the lapels. Life's a bitch. You've got to go out and kick ass."
22. "Never make someone a priority when all you are to them is an option."
23. "My great hope is to laugh as much as I cry; to get my work done and try to love somebody and have the courage to accept the love in return."