We are so familiar with setting our minds on things below heaven ~ here on earth ~ that it is easy to forget to look skyward. We can become so entrenched in our day to day lives which all have some ups and downs, that it is easy to get distracted from remembering where REAL, eternal hope comes from.
We all have those things that keep our minds focused here at ground level. Not that ground level is bad, but our necks may not be as used to looking skyward! Just notice how often we keep our gaze toward the ground. Maybe it's time to literally and spiritually look up again.
Paul the apostle told the Colossians the same thing. He wrote, "If ye then be risen with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God. Set your mind on things above, not on things on the earth. [New Testament].
TOP 5 things to help "set my mind on things above":
- Remember the grandeur of God and His love for me. I love to read the talk, "The Grandeur of God", by Elder Jeffrey R. Holland.
- Remember to pray daily and remember that Christ IS "our hope", our "blessed hope". 1 Timothy 1: 1; Titus 2: 13
- Remember to obey the commandments so that we can have the companionship of the Holy Ghost. It's more likely that we'll remember "our hope", our Savior, when we are doing good things.
- Remember that we have been rescued by Christ. He suffered for every person in the world so that we can keep repenting and someday live with Heavenly Father again.
- Remember to be cautious of what things absorb our time. Sometimes it helps to simplify our lives. Learn to recognize what I call "absorbents", and learn to replace the things that absorb our time with things that have meaning.